Friday, November 7, 2008

Homeschooling update

I really praise the Lord for how homeschooling has been going.  My main goal continues to be that of encouraging parent's to fulfill their role to train up their children to love the Lord.  Pr. 22:6  As part of that, I do get together with the kids 2 times a week.  On Mondays we have Bible and on Thursdays we have computer classes.  As part of the classes, we always begin by reading a Proverb and I try to include as much English as possible.  I'm so enjoying being back in the Spanish, that I have a hard time remembering to teach English.  It's so much fun just doing it all in Spanish.
 
Other days of the weeks I get together with individual families from time to time and we do different educational activities.  Our latest projects have been soap making, gardening, and some PLC programming.  It is such a blessing to see the parents and children working and learning together.  In the coming weeks, I would like to do some types of ministry together with the families.  Please pray the Lord would guide and direct us into what areas we can serve.
 
Just this week, two more girls from the church began homeschooling.  That brings the total to 8 kids who are studying at home.  More than anything I'm thrilled to see the parent's sincere desire and sacrifice to see their children grow and mature in the ways of the Lord.  Not surprisingly, all this does not come about without opposition.  Yesterday, two of the girls were talking about some of the things they are being told by their friends and teachers.  Some thing it's neat but others call them lazy.  One teacher told Carina, "The reason most girls leave school is because they are pregnant..."  Please pray for wisdom for each of the children and parents in knowing how to respond to the critics.
 
From all I can perceive, the families continue to be encouraged with how things are going.  This coming Monday Pastor Santiago and I are planning on getting together with all the parents who are homeschooling.  Our desire is for it to be a time to encourage them, instill a vision of what their responsibilities are as parents and talk about how to respond to criticism.  Pastor Santiago has asked me to share on how my family has responded to different questions and criticism of homeschooling.  Please pray I can be clear in my sharing and that all I say would encourage the parents to have Scriptural convictions on why they are homeschooling.

No comments: