Thursday, November 6, 2008

Always maintain your rights!

I've been thankful I applied for an international driving permit before I left the states. I haven't driven a whole lot here, but it's come in handy.
Driving is certainly different here. It feels kind of like a wild west free-for-all. If your car can fit, got for it before somebody else does! I was driving down a long, curvy hill one day with a friend and we watched as the car in front of us tried to pass on a curve. My friend made the comment "that guy was really bad". I agreed and said, "Yes, he shouldn't have passed on the curve." He replied in all seriousness, "No, I meant the car who didn't make room for the car that was passing."
That's kind of the way things are here. One certainly has to drive defensively. Stop signs mean, look both ways before cruising through the intersection. When the light turns red, just keep close to the guy in front of you. If your lane of traffic keeps close together, the other direction won't have chance to start moving even if their light is green. My favorite is the "Maintain your Right-away" sign. Just like the states, there are yield signs around, but the sign that makes me smile every time I see it is the "Always Maintain your Right-away" sign. I finally got a good picture of one. See above...
I'm not exactly sure how you apply this sign. It appears to be the opposite of a yield sign. I guess it means don't stop for anything. If a car turns out in front of you, just plow into it, because above all, "Always Maintain your Right-away." That's what I would call defensive driving!

No comments: