Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Reflections on El Altar

Danilo up on the El Altar playing in the snow.
 
 
The trip to El Altar with the church youth was already almost 3 weeks ago, but I thought it would be good to write a little more about some of the outcomes from the trip.  Much planning and especially prayer went into the trip and it's been encouraging to see some of the outcomes.  Eternity will only show all the ways the Lord was working, but I just want to share a few we've seen already.
 
On the last day right before beginning the trek home, I was responsible for the devotional.  I'd been planning and preparing to share on yielding rights, anger, etc. but during my personal devotions early that morning things changed.  As I stood reading my Bible in the cold and fog surrounded by the mountain peaks, I felt a strong direction from the Lord to change the theme of my devotional for that morning.  I didn't have much time to prepare, but felt I really should share on being set apart and sanctification.  Our theme book for the whole retreat was Acts, so I based my devotional on Acts 13:2.  As they ministered to the Lord and fasted, the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart for Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them."  I shared with the kids that just as we had physically been away from civilization during the retreat that they needed to now in returning home continue to be spiritually separate from the world.  (2Tim 2:21)  I challenged them to be holy before the Lord, prepared for every good work. 
 
Last Saturday we got together with the youth to look at pictures from the retreat and share together about the time.  As the kids shared, I was surprised at how many mentioned and talked about the impact of the last devotional.  That study's impact certainly wasn't because of long preparations, or a dynamic presentation.  It was a result of the Spirit's working in the hearts of each of us up there on the mountain.  It's humbling for me to see how the Lord used that study.  I can only praise Him.
 
For the first part of the return trip from El Altar, I sat next to Danilo in the bus.  He's been very faithful in attending church and the youth activities, but doesn't come from a strong Christian family.  As we watched the gorgeous scenery go by, we talked about many things and during part of the conversation, I asked him if he had an assurance of salvation.  He said he wants to follow the Lord, but had never known how to ask Him into his heart.  At that point, I had the wonderful opportunity to share the way of salvation with Danilo.  The atmosphere in the bus wasn't very conducive to praying, but a couple days later Danilo did pray to accept the Lord.  What joy it brings to my heart, not to mention the rejoicing in heaven.  You can be praying that Danilo would continue to grow in his new relationship with the Lord.
 
Thank you to each of you who are praying for my ministry down here.  The Lord is touching hearts.

4 comments:

Bird said...

Praise the Lord!!!

Stinnett Family said...

Yes, indeed! Praise God!!

Jennifer said...

God is so good. What else can I say?

Rebecca said...

Thank you for sharing! I think the change of topic very interesting. I've come to the belief that God wants us to be more concerned with our devotion to Him than with how to avoid certain sins. I think this is the message that will actually reach our young people.

It is a blessing to hear how it is working in your experience.